Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Donor's Choose Project

A few weeks ago I found out I'd be moving up to the 8th grade along with my current students and I'm not going to lie, I had mixed emotions about the move.

My entire career (which I'll admit is relatively new) has been spent in the 7th grade hall and it's my home. I'm comfortable there; I know the curriculum and have pretty good lessons prepared. I also happen to completely ADORE the women I work with and hate the thought of leaving them behind. Plus, I spent all year with these kids! While I'll love seeing most of the kids again there are some that I feel I've done my time with and others I thought I'd lucked on missing (Renee, you know who I'm talking about).

But... change is good, as is challenging oneself. I love the 8th grade curriculum, American history from colonial times through Reconstruction. This is what I spent most of college studying (hand in hand with government types and structures 'cause I'm a super nerd) and I can't wait to share my passion for the subject with the kids. I enjoy the 8th grade teachers and am looking forward to working with them. So when it's all said and done I'm happy to be moving on and to try my hand at something new.

Which, brings me to the title of this post. I have set up a project through Donor's Choose, you can view my page at http://www.donorschoose.org/Ms.Megan. I'm asking for 5 sets of historical fiction novels to use during our American Revolution and Civil War units. I hope that these novels will help the kids form connections with the time period (the novels all feature main characters the same age as my students) as well as to help increase fluency and vocabulary. Also, we'll be using these books in literature circles so the kids will be working in groups, taking turns filling various roles thus practicing their team building skills.

For those unfamiliar with my school, 70% of our students receive free or reduced lunch so resources at home are often limited and that includes access to quality reading materials. Many of our students struggle with reading and I want to provide them with books that they will find interesting and engaging but will also expand their understanding of the era, its people and events.

I know times are tight for a lot of people but that's the great thing about Donor's Choose, you can donate as much or as little as like. Anything you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much!

I'll be back with a recipe once the sinus pressure in my head dissipates and I know longer want to rip out my throat and tear off my ears. Lovely visual to leave you all with... you're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?